Wednesday, 19 November 2014

The Change to Come

            School really has evolved over the years in regards to societal norms, the technology explosion, and the theories we practice. We are in a time were knowing is simply not enough, we can access the ‘know’ whenever we please in a variety of different ways. There needs to be a shift from understanding concepts to using these concepts in a variety of different contexts. Students are bored, uninterested, don’t care, and have their attention elsewhere.

The following video is TEDtalk video that outlines how math classrooms should look like compared to how they actually look like right now. I choose a video related to math because I find that to be one of the tougher subjects to get intrinsically motivated about for most students.


I feel like this video and the ideas behind it are easily transferable to other subjects that currently exist or may exist in the future. Why spend all your time focusing on questions that can be solved in exponentially less time? Do something with those questions, make mistakes, make corrections, and discover something new.

Through my time in EDUC 4P19 at Brock University (a curriculum based course) I have learned about the new story of education that is on the near horizon.  Changes are coming, and they are going to be big ones, but will we really be ready for the changes once we enter the teaching force? I don't think we fully understand what the changes will actually be, but we can definitely see a trend in teaching styles that involve interaction, applying, experimenting, exploring, and discovery. Knowing that these themes are going to guide the next curriculum change, all we can do is prepare ourselves to be flexible and open to change for when the time does come. I think that whatever is coming is going to look different across Ontario and the communities within it. There is going to be no 1 right way to educate in schools, it will have to be based on the needs of each specific school and the people within in (both staff and students). With this in mind I hope that myself and my current and future colleagues will be able to embrace these changes and make the most out of a great opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment